In 2021 and 2022, the SUMEX project organised a series of peer-learning workshops to address and discuss topics alongside the SUMEX cube.
The SUMEX cube.
The five SUMEX project workshops brought together peers in the extractives industries, extractives authorities and civil society on the three levels – EU, Member State and regional – to start and create a Community of Practice (CoP) focused on applying sustainability principles.
EU macro-regions per peer-learning workshop and topics.
The results from the SUMEX workshops overall confirmed the need to continue discussions between different stakeholders to support more sustainable management in the extractives industries.
The key findings from the workshops can be summarised as follows:
- Dialogue between all stakeholder groups is essential
- Social license to operate is important and an ongoing process
- Institutionalisation of rules for the Social License to Operate (SLO) is crucial
- Common definition of ‘sustainability’ is needed
- Extractive sector needs to shift to circular-economy business models
- SUMEX Framework is appropriate at the moment but will need adaption with changes in the future
Key findings from peer-learning regional workshops, per SUMEX Focus Area.
The workshop outcomes and findings are further detailed in the “Sketch notes: Summary report of the peer-learning workshops”.
Recordings and presentation slides can be found under ‘past events’ on the SUMEX website as follows:
- West, online on 23 November 2021
- North, in Helsinki on 20 April 2022
- East, in Tallinn on 31 May 2022
- South, in Sevilla on 22 June 2022
- Bringing it all together, in Brussels on 17 November 2022