SUMEX regional workshop North
On 20 April 2022, the SUMEX team held its second regional workshop. The peer-learning event was organised in a physical format in Helsinki.
The workshop provided an opportunity for actors to connect with each other, to share their knowledge and to share with the SUMEX project what information is needed to improve sustainable management of extractive industries in Europe.
In this second regional workshop, SUMEX focused on the issue of socio-economic and environmental impact assessment and permitting processes (focusing on the Water Framework Directive).
In addition to inputs from speakers on good practice cases and panel & expert discussions, the main activity of this event were discussions in smaller groups.
The presentations held during the event are now available online:
– Social impact assessment and management meets SLO in mining (Rauno Sairinen, University of Eastern Finland)
– Interactions of community engagement and sustainability (Ulla Syriälä, Anglo American)
– Industrie’s approach to the Water Framework Directive (Ylva Agren, Boliden)
Full programme: Link to agenda
In addition to this workshop, the project hosted the following additional events:
– EU East (Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia) – 31 May-1 June 2022 in Tallinn, Estonia
– EU South (Croatia, Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain) – 22-23 June 2022 in Seville, Spain
– Overall – 17 November 2022 in Brussels, Belgium