On 23 November 2021, the SUMEX team held its first regional workshop. The peer-learning event was organised in a digital format.
The workshop provided an opportunity for actors to connect with each other, to share their knowledge and to share with the SUMEX project what information is needed to improve sustainable management of extractive industries in Europe.
In this first regional workshop, SUMEX focused on the issue of land use planning and permitting processes. In addition to short inputs from keynote speakers, the main activity of this event were discussions in smaller groups.
The presentations held during the event are now available online:
- SUMEX project introduction by Michael Tost (Montanuniversität Leoben, project coordinator)
- Practice Case: Mineral Development in Ireland, a review of planning consent by Sybil Berne (MacCabe Durney Barnes, Ireland)
- Implementation of the Nature Directives in EU Member States: Guidance for inspection in nature protected areas by Dr. Gisela Holzgraefe (Ministry for Energy Transition, Agriculture, Environment, Nature and Digitalization of the State of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany) and Lia Mergulhão (ICNF – Instituto da Conservação da Natureza e das Florestas, I.P., Portugal)
- Survey Results on Capaciy Building by Tobias Wagner (Oeko-Institut)
- Practice case: Mining and Postmining in Germany – Examples from the Sauerland Area by Dr. Michael Neumann (independent consultant, Natural Resources Consulting, Germany)
In addition to this first workshop, the project will host the following four regional workshops in 2022:
- EU East (Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia) – 31 May-1 June 2022 in Tallinn, Estonia
- EU South (Croatia, Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain) – 22-23 June 2022 in Seville, Spain
- EU North (Denmark, Finland, Sweden) – 20-21 April 2022 in Helsinki, Finland
- Overall – autumn 2022 in Brussels, Belgium